Would You Laugh or Write Up?

by Evil HR Lady on October 2, 2008

If one of your employees wrote a letter like this would you laugh or write the person up?

I laughed. (Not that I work for this law firm. I don’t work for a law firm.)

Via lowering the bar.

HR Wench October 2, 2008 at 4:33 am

Sounds like a pretty deserving letter to me. Good for him!

Chris Morgan October 2, 2008 at 8:19 am

That’s brilliant – made me chuckle on a Thursday morning!

Chris

Anonymous October 2, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Now my co-workers are probably wondering why I’m giggling at my desk…

PatrickWB October 2, 2008 at 9:41 pm

That was just beautiful

Anyone who can tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the journey? Is my hero/heroine.

Jennifer October 3, 2008 at 1:23 am

Absolutely fabulous! I am definitely laughing!

Anonymous October 3, 2008 at 1:30 pm

I would definitely write him up, although it would be like some of those times with my kids when I have to leave the room for a minute to laugh before I can come back and be a serious disciplinarian. But really, from a professional, this letter should never have been written!

jaded hr rep October 3, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Was this to a client or the other parties’ law firm? If to a client, I can understand why the tinge of sarcasm might not be welcome. If to the other parties’ law firm – woo hoo! Good for him. Under any circumstance, sounds like this guy really needed that and if someone takes offense, then what type of jacka$$ is that person? Poor guy – I can see giving him a slap on the wrist verbally, but I think he’s been through enough?

Hook October 3, 2008 at 7:05 pm

I have to admit that it made me laugh too.

Matt Poland October 4, 2008 at 4:43 pm

From one attorney to another, this letter is priceless. It’s about time there was some humanity expressed in the face of a rigid world.

Infamous HR Guy October 6, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Eh, I’d give my opinion he should get a verbal chat. Followed by a nice laugh as we discuss what everyone must have thought upon receipt of this. Poor guy.

Anonymous October 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm

As both a victim of Ike (20,000 lb tree laying on my house, etc. etc. etc.) living in Houston and a transplant from Dallas (deeply understanding of Dallasite jerky ways), I cannot believe Jeff kept it that clean and civil. This is undoubtedly a man of true restraint! I think I would have driven up there to put a bullet in Markland, personally.

Dave October 18, 2008 at 5:01 pm

I’d be tempted to write to the other lawyer “I’m sorry we haven’t found grounds to discipline [the writer] since, as you know, purely stating facts is not grounds for libel or other offenses deserving of penalties.”

Corey J Feldman October 28, 2008 at 2:26 pm