Should You Have to Cover Those Tattoos For a Job?

by Evil HR Lady on September 29, 2010

A British woman was told to put a bag over her head, due to her piercings and tattoos, before applying for a job. Is your appearance really that important?

Should You Have to Cover Those Tattoos For a Job?

Class factotum September 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm

A friend spent a lot of money getting the tattoo removed from her ankle before she tried to move from working for the city to working in the private sector. Her nosering was easier: she just took it out.

When her daughter was born five years ago, she said that she would never allow Sophia to get a tattoo as long as she (Sophia) was under my friend's roof.

The only two men I knew who had beards in my previous job (International Paper, big, old manufacturing company) were so good at what they did that they were known industry wide. Not saying that other men couldn't have had beards, but it just didn't seem to be the culture. Everyone else conformed.

Pat Wood September 30, 2010 at 12:03 am

It's a bit unfortunate that appearance can affect the hiring process, esp if you're truly talented. I really hope the acceptance of tattoos changes over the next few decades, now I don't personally have a tattoo but I would like one, plus I feel for the most part it shouldn't matter. Though I can definitely understand how a conservative financial company wouldn't want someone with a tattoo'd neck or sleeve to represent them in front of clients, since there's still that stigma in most people's minds.

albantani September 30, 2010 at 3:42 am

tattoo not only art but also can be a good job…
nice topic and blog

HR Exhibition October 1, 2010 at 2:53 pm

it really depends on the nature of the work, doesn't it? what ever the businesss requires.

Family Business Lawyer October 1, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Since when is appearance NOT important? An employer doesn't have to let people come to work in tattered or dirty clothes or dressed in Goth attire. Why should piercings and tatoos be entitled to preferential treatment?

If people want to get tatoos and piercings, that is up to them, just as people who want to work in tattered jeans should be able to do so, but they should not be able to force their preferences onto a work environment.

Midhun October 3, 2010 at 1:43 am

Perfectly agree with the previous comment. Nobody should force their preferences onto a work environment. If customer is the king then we need to be acceptable to the customer at all times. So if that means wearing a tattoo so be it but the same logic applies the other way too.

Hope Ferguson October 4, 2010 at 2:10 am

Personal appearance is important and for some people personal appearance is very important in the working industry. I feel that one should not be judged on their character or work ethic just because the way they look, such as with an array of tattoos. For example, a co-worker I work with has many tattoos, but she was given a fair opportunity and was hired for the job and is not required to cover them.

Stephen Spencer December 17, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I very much agree that you should only get tattoos in places that can be easily concealed, and piercings that can be taken out or are also easily concealed – if you would like to not have them limit you for a job.

This would be appropriate for any position that requires one to interact with consumers.

Otherwise it would probably be grounds for legal action in my opinion.