Why sloppiness is killing your job search

by Evil HR Lady on April 25, 2012

I do edit the letters that come to me. Mostly I shorten them. I try not to change word choice or do something that would take away from the writer’s original voice. I will, generally, clean up small grammar errors, as heaven knows we can’t afford to have editors following us around all the time. (But, boy that would be a great job market for those unemployed English majors.)

I received this email this morning:

in my life ive only had one job. that job was th at i was manager of a small business owned by my parents. does that count as experience. lets say i apply for a job as an hr assistantwould a job working as a manager/cashier for my parents be considered relevant experience.

To keep reading click here: Why sloppiness is killing your job search

Christine April 26, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Thank you for writing this! These kinds of emails and postings make my brain hurt. Most people don’t understand how critical spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization are until they make a mistake that is truly embarrassing.

Really kids, it doesn’t matter how many Facebook memes you post about how the brain adapts and can read unpunctuated, misspelled paragraphs. It is important. After all, would you rather help your Uncle Jack off a horse or help your uncle jack off a horse?

Dawn April 27, 2012 at 8:20 pm

“After all, would you rather help your Uncle Jack off a horse or help your uncle jack off a horse?”

LMAO! That’s a GREAT example. And it made my day.

The gold digger April 30, 2012 at 5:05 pm

My college roommate dated a guy who worked in a research lab. Part of his job was to collect samples. Of pig semen. Which meant he had to. You know.

Evil HR Lady April 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I am way too young for this conversation.

Recruitment Companies May 4, 2012 at 6:31 am

This is the appropriate blog for anybody who desires to search out about this topic. Thanks for sharing these ideas.

The gold digger May 6, 2012 at 8:05 pm

You mean, recruitment company, this is the appropriate blog for anyone who wants to know about gathering samples of reproductive material from non-human mammals?

Perhaps your spamming software should be updated to understand content just a little bit. Just saying.