5 Things You Should Know Before Relocating for a Job

by Evil HR Lady on December 11, 2013

You go where the jobs are, right? And sometimes the job isn’t within commuting distance from your home and you need to relocate. While to some people, it’s an easy decision—of course you move for the job! To others, it’s absolutely unthinkable to move away from “home,” and no amount of promotion, prestige or even ability to pay the bills will change that.

If you’ve been offered a job far away from where you live, here are 5 things to think about before accepting the offer.

To keep reading, click here: 5 Things You Should Know Before Relocating for a Job

Darlington Jobs December 11, 2013 at 10:27 am

Very interesting article, point number one where it mentions the ‘contract’ is interesting as I’d be curious how many people do actually read their contracts..

Evil HR Lady December 11, 2013 at 10:30 am

Judging by my email, not enough!

I know I’m sometimes guilty of not reading every word of contracts. Dumb, I know!

TrailingSpouse December 11, 2013 at 3:48 pm

When my wife got a promotion to head a bigger branch office for her firm, I got to play trailing spouse. As an engineer, her salary increase was my salary. When she asked me and our daughter if we would be willing to move, our only question was, “When is the van coming?” Of course this ignores the months of a double mortgage. For me, getting a job in a bigger city was easy. Subsequent job changes have also been easier. Of course we have since swapped who was the “primary” income. Given the choice, we would not second guess the move. It was the right thing.

Evil HR Lady December 11, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I’m a trailing spouse myself. Someone’s career has to take priority! To be honest, I haven’t recovered the salary I had before we moved, but I don’t regret it either.

Janice December 13, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I also think you should have a plan B in case it does not work out

Evil HR Lady December 14, 2013 at 8:51 am

Plan Bs are always good! If you’re not 100 percent sold on the job, put away money to repay the relo, should you need to.